A professor at one of the veterinary colleges tells me that their Teaching Hospital recently treated a dog with acute renal failure apparently precipitated by eating several snack boxes of raisins. She reports that the Animal Poison Control Center has collected about a half dozen similar cases. Here is a note the Animal Poison Control Center ( APCC) has posted on their site about raisins/grapes. www.apcc.aspca.org

Date: February 1st, 2001

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is aware of recent reports of dogs alleged to have developed kidney failure following ingestion of large amounts of grapes or raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at the APCC are currently investigating these cases in an attempt to determine the causative agents or disease processes. At this time the exact role of grapes or raisins in these cases is unclear. Pet owners whose dogs have ingested large quantities of grapes or raisins, or veterinarians managing such cases, are encouraged to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) immediately.

http://www.napcc.aspca.org/raisins.htm

Prudence would certainly dictate extreme caution in giving dogs any access to raisins until this issue is investigated fully.

Translate »