Only four-legged friends from rescue dog squadrons know how to jump through flaming hoops. Other dogs often make rather unpleasant acquaintances with fire.
Who falls ill?
Dogs are at risk from house fires, from accidents in the kitchen, e.g. from boiling water or hot oil, but also from electric shocks, for example when puppies chew on live cables.
How do you recognize it?
For minor burns, the skin becomes red and the hair is singed or scalded. If the effect of heat is greater, blisters form up to the extensive loss of the epidermis and charred edges. Electrocution burns have a light-colored center with a reddened edge.
What should I do?
Immediately flush the affected areas with cold running water for 20 minutes. Open wounds should then be covered with sterile gauze bandages or a clean towel. Do not apply burn ointment, but take the dog to the vet. Extensive burns have a poor prognosis, as complications from the loss of fluid and the inflammatory reaction of the skin can still occur days later.
How to prevent it?
Don’t leave dogs alone in the kitchen when the stove or fryer is on. Cover live wires or spray them with a bitter-tasting spray. When grilling, place the grate out of the dog’s reach.