If you want to get a dog and can’t choose a breed because you really like the expressive face of the pug and the cheerful character of the Beagle – you need a Puggle! Is this your first time hearing about him? This is the best designer breed, obtained by crossing a Pug and a Beagle. She combines the characteristics of these two breeds.
History of the Puggle Breed
The official history of the breed dates back to 1990 when in Wisconsin breeder Wals Havens first got a full litter from mating pug and beagle and announced this. Attempts to present the Puggle as an official breed have been unsuccessful. The American Kennel Club and Wisconsin Ethics Committee have been dissatisfied with the results of the Havens Kennel inspections for ten years. He was even banned from breeding. Until now, in some states, there is a ban on crossing puggles with each other. While puppies are only mating hybrids of the first generation, it is impossible to talk about a new independent dog breed.
Neither the American Kennel Club, nor the English Kennel Club, nor the Canadian Kennel Clubs recognize the Puggle as a separate hybrid breed. The main line of criticism is that such a modification is illiterate and does not meet the criteria for serious genetic experiments.
Description of the Breed, Characteristics
The cross is interesting in that it is impossible to predict what the expected puppies will look like: all dogs are very different in color and size. In appearance, the Puggle looks like a large, short-legged, athletic pug with a slightly elongated wrinkled black muzzle and drooping ears. On the face – a black “mask”, like a purebred Pug. The size of the nose can be different: short, like a Pug, or elongated, like a Beagle. Therefore, dogs of this breed breathe freely. The mixture inherited from the Pug both expressive eyes and a tail curled into a ring.
Puggle is affectionate, active, cheerful, and balanced. He needs constant attention from the owner and regular communication with people. This dog does not like being alone, left alone, it becomes uncontrollable and begins to bark non-stop. Puggle gets along well with dogs, other pets, and children and enjoys playing with all of them. This breed is kind to strangers, but always barking to warn the owners of their appearance.
- Height at the withers: 33-37 cm;
- Weight: 8-12 kg.
- Color: brown, black, or yellowish with a tan.
- General appearance: short, stocky dogs of the athletic build;
- The tail is set high, curled, there is one curl;
- The head is wide, elongated;
- The muzzle is wrinkled, with a dark mask;
- The eyes are dark, set deep;
- The ears are wide and drooping;
- The nose is wide, dark brown or black, with varying degrees of flattening.
The owner of a dog of any breed always has a choice between commercial dog food and a home-made balanced diet. If you decide to go with homemade food, it is highly recommended to provide the dog with meat and offal. In the daily diet, it is necessary to include various cereals from whole cereals, fresh vegetables, and fruits according to the season, as well as a vitamin and mineral mixture.
You should not feed Puggle with fatty, spicy, and salty foods.
If you have chosen plant food, approach this issue with great seriousness and attention. Armed with the knowledge only, approach the feed rack in the specialist store.
Also, keep in mind that not every high-quality food is right for your dog. Most likely, it will have to be selected experimentally. When you are convinced that your pet is doing great, having a good chair is the right choice.
Food for a puppy under the age of three months must be given three times a day, after reaching three months, you can switch to two meals a day.
Care and Maintenance
Puggle is considered to be moderately unpretentious dogs. It is important to follow several rules for keeping your pet healthy and happy:
- A well-thought-out vitamin and mineral complex is required, agreed with the veterinarian. The main thing is to prevent overheating and, as a result, obesity.
- The dog has a short, dense, coarse coat. Once every few weeks (more often when molting), the puggle needs to be brushed with a brush with stiff bristles.
- The eyes and ears of the dog should be cleaned daily, but it should only be bathed if absolutely necessary.
- You need daily walks lasting at least half an hour each.
- It is important for Paglu to have regular opportunities to run, so it is best to find opportunities for a free run.
- Puggles are sensitive to temperature conditions, so at low temperatures, it is recommended to use special clothing for dogs.
Education and Training
Since Puggle are very stubborn, their training should be started as early as possible. If you miss the moment, then the animal will be difficult to control.
Teams should be trained regularly. However, the dog will not be able to hold its attention for a long time, so training should be carried out in the form of play.
Positive reinforcement methods such as praise and treats work well.
It is more effective to instill in the form of a game that the dog’s behavior skills are comfortable for you. Puggles are easy to train, you only need to control some of the stubbornness inherent in this breed. The willfulness of the dog will become an obstacle to toilet training, but all this is surmountable. It is important to remain calm in this challenging endeavor. Puggle puppy learns to follow basic commands with enthusiasm, and some individuals are distinguished by the exceptional talent in this area. To achieve more success in training, make a regimen. When doing this, take into account the age, physical condition, and emotional state of the pupil.
A few rules for training puggles:
- Start training your dog as soon as you bring it home. Place it in a basket overnight. Feed your dog regularly. Provide her with a safe place to play. A regular schedule makes it easier for the dog to training.
Perhaps the hardest thing to do is to train the dog to the tray. You will need to keep an eye on the dog or lock him up until he knows where to relieve himself. You can help the puggle by feeding him on a schedule. If it’s not time to feed yet, don’t leave food anywhere. Remove the bowl of water a few hours before bed.
- Puggle needs physical activity and communication with other dogs. Although the puggle is a small breed, it inherited some of its features from the beagle. The beagle is a working dog, so the beagle also needs to work. Outdoor games, freestyle, or even flyball will satisfy your dog’s social and physical needs. Puggle will also need daily runs or walks in the dog park.
- Puggle prefers tricks to obedience training. If you do obedience training in the form of tricks, just as you teach a dog to give a paw and bring things in, you will capture the Puggle’s imagination and make him an enthusiastic student.
- Use toys and treats to reward your dog. Puggle is often better at picking up commands on the move. He prefers to sit or stand, and then rush around like crazy for a few seconds before starting a new team. Use the reward system in training, as the puggle is a tough dog with gentle feelings.
- Bored or worried, puggle can make a mess. Instead of putting the dog food in a bowl, place it in special toys. You can even hide them in several places for the puggle to hunt. Give your dog safe chew toys to reduce anxiety and over-energy.
Puggle inherited hyperactivity from his Beagle parent. Therefore, the duration of vigorous walks can gradually increase: from 15-30 minutes for a puppy to an hour for an adult.
It is not recommended to walk in extreme weather: both high and low temperatures can provoke an illness in your pet. But if there is an urgent need to go outside, we recommend that you use special clothes for dogs.
Do not let the dog off the leash if you are in an open area. He may be distracted by a new scent and ignore your commands.
Diseases, Symptoms, and Treatment
This new decorative breed has not yet been tested by time. Therefore, pets may have problems that are typical for both the beagle and the pug. Life expectancy on average is 12 to 15 years.
The following diseases are possible:
- Congenital narrowed nostrils that make breathing difficult.
- The presence of this defect occurs in individuals with a flattened muzzle.
- Dysplasia of the hip joint.
- Also present from birth, the dog may develop lameness on one or two legs.
- Epilepsy causes seizures in your pet. An animal can be helped with medications and full life can be ensured. However, the disease cannot be cured.
- Hypothyroidism is caused by a lack of thyroid hormones. The problem can lead to infertility, obesity, and decreased stamina.
- The dislocated patella is present in small dogs. May lead to lameness and abnormal gait
- Obesity is possible with the overfeeding of the pet. Therefore, the amount of food consumption by animals should be controlled.
- Adenoma of the third eyelid (cherry eye) is characterized by an increase in the size of the lymphatic follicles of the third eyelid.
- Allergic reactions to food and production materials.