These Foods are Toxic to Dogs

What is tasty to us humans can be toxic or even fatal to your dog. Read now which foods your dog should never eat.

Many dog owners love to share their meals with their dogs. However, caution is advised: not every food that we can eat can be easily digested by the dog. There are many foods that absolutely must not get into a dog’s stomach. The following foods can be toxic or even fatal to dogs.

Dogs should never drink coffee

Coffee is toxic to dogs: Methylxanthine, a component of caffeine, affects the dog’s nervous system and can even be fatal. Seizures, tremors, restlessness, and overheating, as well as diarrhea, vomiting, and cardiac arrhythmia, can indicate coffee poisoning in the dog.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs

Highly coveted by us – absolutely taboo for the dog! The substance theobromine contained in cocoa is toxic to our four-legged friends. A dog that has eaten chocolate often suffers from restlessness, diarrhea, vomiting, and an increased heart rate. In an emergency, seizures and even respiratory arrest can occur. Especially in puppies and small dog breeds, even small amounts can be life-threatening.

Never give raw beans to your dog

Cooked beans are not dangerous for your dog. However, they must not be eaten raw: the toxin phasin is highly toxic when raw. Phasin causes the red blood cells in the dog’s blood to stick together. The result: Affected dogs suffer from swelling of the liver, fever and abdominal cramps.

Your dog does not tolerate onions

The sulfuric acid contained in onions destroys the red blood cells in the dog’s body. If a dog eats onions, it can be dangerous: diarrhea, bloody urine, vomiting and an accelerated heart and breathing rate are the consequences. Onions have a toxic effect on dogs from five to ten grams per kilogram of body weight.

Garlic, wild garlic and chives are dangerous for the dog

When eating garlic, wild garlic and chives, the hemoglobin in the red blood cells is destroyed – the dog then suffers from anemia. The strength of the poison depends on the dog’s weight. Symptoms are similar to onion poisoning.

This is what makes poultry bones so dangerous for dogs

It is better not to give your dog any poultry bones, because they are doubly dangerous: poultry bones splinter easily, which is why they can injure the dog’s mouth, throat or stomach. Also, constant bone feeding can lead to constipation in your dog.

Alcohol is absolutely not for dogs

Alcohol is a cytotoxin and therefore highly toxic for dogs. Vomiting, seizures and shortness of breath are typical symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs. Dogs that come into contact with alcohol can suffer from chronic liver and kidney damage.

Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs

Raisins and grapes contain oxalic acid – it can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can sometimes be fatal. Dogs that have eaten grapes or raisins often appear lethargic and vomit.

Avocados are not dog food

Avocaods contain persin, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. You should also absolutely refrain from offering the large stone of the avocado as a dog toy: your dog can choke on it!

So think carefully about which leftovers you can really leave to your dog without hesitation. Important: Provide your four-legged friend with sufficient species-appropriate dog food so that he stays fit and healthy.

Sugar Alternative Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs

Many dog ​​owners do not know that the sugar alternative xylitol or xylitol is highly toxic for dogs. About 10 to 30 minutes after the dog has ingested the substance, there is an excessive release of insulin and a drop in blood sugar levels, which is life-threatening. Even the smallest amount of xylitol (0.1 g per kg of dog’s body weight) is enough to cause symptoms of poisoning in the dog.

Therefore, make absolutely sure that the dog cannot get to food that contains xylitol. This can be chewing gum, but also cakes, biscuits, etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *