Attention, Poisonous: These Plants Harm the Puppy

Most puppy owners can tell you a thing or two: puppies tend to try all sorts of things by simply putting the unknown in their mouths. Responsible dog owners have therefore already cleared everything in their apartment out of “puppy reach” that could harm the little guy. However, plants are often forgotten in the process. Many indoor plants as well as flowers and shrubs that beautify the garden are poisonous.

Poisonous houseplants

It is best to place the potted plants in a raised position – on shelves and window sills so that the puppy cannot reach them. The poisonous plants that many people decorate their homes with include tulips, daffodils, crocuses, hyacinths, oleanders, philodendrons, dieffenbachia, ficus, anthurium, croton, Christ’s thorn, room fern, azalea, cyclamen, and also the poisonous poinsettia.

Harmful greenery in the garden

But you also have to be careful outside. In spring it is the pretty bulbous plants, crocus, tulip, hyacinth, daffodil, primrose, squill, and cowslip, from which the dog-child must be kept away. But also trees and bushes tempt to nibble because puppy teeth want to be tried out. Yew, laburnum, and wisteria contain strong toxins that can be dangerous for your pet.

It’s best not to leave your little darling unattended in the garden for the first time and to keep him busy. Because a tired puppy will certainly not get the idea of ​​wanting to redesign the garden.

Dogs are in danger in the garden not only in spring. Elderberry, for example, is poisonous and should not be used as a stick for the dog. Laburnum, lilac, hydrangea, angel’s trumpet, oleander, ivy, mountain ash, and holly can also cause poisoning in dogs.

It is best to avoid chemicals such as weed killers or slug pellets altogether. The compost heap should also be placed in such a way that the dog cannot reach it.

When the puppy nibbles plants

You can tell that the puppy has tasted something poisonous from the following symptoms: Apathy, vomiting, and/or diarrhea can be signs of poisoning and the puppy should be taken to the vet immediately. Take samples of the puppy’s vomit or feces and the plant the puppy ate so the vet can identify the toxin more quickly. Under no circumstances should you give milk to drink, as this can accelerate the absorption of toxins in the body.

Alternative: chew toys

Of course, prevention is best so that poisoning does not occur in the first place. Providing enough chew toys is a good way to ensure the puppy isn’t chewing on everything (un)possible. He can “legally” work on this with his little teeth and does not look for a replacement in the apartment or in the garden. This is especially important for young dogs that are changing teeth.

Education is the best “antidote”

Even as a puppy, you should teach your dog in a playful way that the vegetable patch is not a place for digging and flowers are not intended for small dogs’ mouths to pick. Good training is the best protection – even against poisonous plants. If your little one starts to nibble, you can stop him by saying “no” or “off” and by clapping your hands. Then call him to you – and if he trots up, you can reward him with a treat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *